Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Note About Grandfathering/Parent Choice

There is an option on the survey that asks you to prioritize Grandfathering/Parent Choice. 

Let me explain a little about what the committee was thinking on this.  As Mrs. Butler explained last night, the current district policy on grandfathering is to allow incoming 5th graders to stay and finish their final year, and allow any siblings of those incoming 5th graders to also stay if they choose.

The committee wanted to know if parents wanted the option of allowing any children who already attend Mills to stay and finish (no siblings).  (Side note: this is an extreme long shot, as the district has never grandfathered more than 2 grades at an existing school.)

The numbers for a plan like this may or may not work out, but we wanted to get parents input on whether they would tolerate some overcrowding in favor of having a choice of their children to stay and finish at Mills.

This idea was not explained very well last night, but I did want to communicate what the boundary committee was thinking on this.

3 comments:

  1. As the parent of a 3rd grader and a 6th grader who started in K and finished 5th grade at Mills, I am strongly in favor of allowing my 3rd grader to finish her elementary education at Mills. Thank you for explaining this further. After last night's meeting, I had already begun thinking that my daughter would more than likely be transferred next year. A scenario with which she more than certainly would disagree come next Fall. I would tolerate some overcrowding in favor of keeping my child at Mills. If you can, please add my preference to the survey which I turned in last night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This idea would decrease our population, but at a slower rate. Also, less teachers would be affected and moved to other schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mills is too crowded. I think Mills' students should have enough resource like other schools. I am sorry that some students have to leave, but it is the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete